Posted by admin
mobile apps downloads, mobile apps for lawyers, mobile friendly websites, mobile phone usage
Mobile internet usage is on the rise. This is nothing new. The question is why is usage on the rise and what does it mean for your business and in particular your marketing efforts?
The question can be evaluated from many different angles:
- Smart phone usage continues to spike upward, as more and more people convert from traditional phones to smart phones. According to Nielsen projections point to 50% smart phone market share for all American wireless subscribers in 2011 Q4 or Q1 2012. This includes (iPhones, Android, RIM, NOKIA) smart phones use them on a daily basis. PEW Internet suggests that 85% of the adult US population in the US owns and uses a cell phone; the US Census Bureau estimates the US adult population to be 290 million for 2011 (give or take); which puts adult smart phone users between 120- 124 million people. That’s a lot of people using smart phones. And the number is only going to grow.
- Mobile app downloads continue spike upward – Apple alone celebrated 10 billion app downloads in 2011. That’s a lot of downloads suggesting a lot of demand and usage.
- Availability of strong 3G or higher connections also continues to spike, multiple studies show that usage hinges on fast connections (shocking I know), and that smart phone usage will continue to grow as more and more people have access to 3G or 4G speeds through their phone. Also, with WiFi access built into all smart phones, usage from home, work or the coffee shop is second nature.
While these trends suggest general smart phone ownership and mobile web traffic has and will continue to spike; the more pressing question for Big Momma Apps and CloudSixteen, is: ‘what this trend means for our clients?’ Is this trend even relevant to law firms, small businesses and restaurants? Or are people simply using their smart phones to access Facebook, find directions to the nearest starbucks or to read yelp restaurant reviews?
Over the past few days I checked analytics on about half of our 300 + client websites. I tried to look at a variety of different practice areas (DUI & Criminal Defense, Personal Injury, Medical Malpractice, Litigation, Securities Litigation, Workers Compensation, etc) in a variety of different markets (big cities, small cities, rust belt, sun belt, hip-tech, sleepy, etc.) Here’s what I found:
- On average mobile traffic to our clients’ websites has increased from 4.18% to 10.81% in 12 months time. I looked at June 1st – August 31st 2010 compared with the same date range for 2011.
2010 High: 10.1% (now 12.2%) Low 1.35% (now 8.34%)
2011 High: 18.8%, Low: 4.78%
What does this mean?
In short: Make sure you are positioned to make it easy for your clients and prospective clients to access you through a smart phone.
- Make sure you have a mobile friendly version of your website – contact your webmaster or TSEG to discuss.
- Consider building an iPhone or Android app that will allow both differentiate your firm and put critical information in your clients hands. An app also ensures that your firm has static exposure on your client/prospective client’s phone, 24/7. A well designed app can provide critical information, what to do, and not to do, if your client is in a legal bind. It can also allow provide a secure line of communication to you – from your clients.
At the end of the day, it’s critical that you are prepared and ahead of the curve for continued spike in mobile usage.
Contact Big Momma Apps at 800.267.1704 to discuss further.